Monday, February 25, 2013

A MORNING WALK

The Guard for the Tienda

     How  could anything be better than a morning walk to the square in Ajijic?  The air is soft and warm and clean.  The sun is bright and the sky has filmy white clouds breaking up the clear blue.  There is a light breeze blowing that just adds a feeling of contentment.  
     The cobblestone side walks and streets are still sprinkled with confetti and white flour left from the most recent parades.  The dogs are quiet this morning probably completely tired out from last nights barking and running around. The birds are calling one another in various songs which are lovely to hear.  It is quiet now, no cars, very few people.  I walk along the sunny side of the street.
     The walk takes me by Ninette’s a very nice restaurant, closed now, of course, and by The Only Chocolate shop which is also closed at this time.  Good for me.  The homes along the street are painted many beautiful colors and the nondescript doors lead to mysterious and sometimes very beautiful gardens and homes.  Always interesting to see behind the walls.
     If I do pass someone, I say, “Buenas Dias”, in my very best Spanish and most seem to understand me.  I do hear lots of accents, U.S. accents, from Texas, Mississippi and many other recognizable accents of the states,  then there are the Canadians, eh.
     At the square, its about 10:30 am and there is a line up  of gringos waiting to eat brunch in the Jardin.  All are dressed similarly - just like me.  Most of the older men wear a beard and mustache like Pete and have bought a straw colored hat to go with their sandals and shorts.  That’s the uniform for us old folks.  Although you can wear anything you feel like wearing so I was told by a woman who has lived here 20 years and loves it.  She was Flossie the hummingbird lady originally from Spokane.  Pedro, who wore a very large hat festooned with artificial flowers, many necklaces and rings and other interesting costumes, died recently and is missed by all especially the white burro he rode.
     I am seeing quite a few more young people this year and I mean real young, like 20’s and 30’s or on a honeymoon or something.  Even the old people are younger or is it that I am older.  This does seem like a very good place to live a healthy life.  The warmth, the altitude, the fruits and vegetables and the seafood, all contribute to a healthy lifestyle along with walking on cobblestones.
     On the way home I will walk on the shady side and be just as impressed with the ease of it all.

No comments: